Dear diary, Day 1 Today my friends and I were playing soccer when my sister,Bibi, appeared behind me. She wanted to play with us but in Afghanistan, girls are not allowed to play soccer. I tried to stop her but she started to dribble and cut all of us. I was very proud of her as she had remembered all the tricks I had taught her. Then she kicked the ball. It flew over the rocket crater. We immediately rushed to retrieve the ball. I warned her about the landmines. We found out that the ball had been stopped by an abandoned tank. I followed Bibi’s footsteps and went closer to the tank. As we were about to take the ball, the barrel of the tank started to move. I told her that we had to rush back home before our parents woke up. To my horror she left a note saying that she had gone to play soccer. Bibi started walking back as I tried to take my ball. Then I hear a sound and soon realised that it is the rumbling of the tank’s engine. I shout to Bibi to run as the barrel points at me. Then, BIbi starts throwing rocks at the tank. I shout at Bibi to get down. Although i wanted to go with her, I needed to get my precious ball. Although I’m scared within, I do not show it out. The ball is half squashed under the tank. In a strong voice, I ask the tank driver to return my ball to me. I tell the tank why I need the ball so much but it still does not move. I try to pull it out by myself, but to no avail. Then I heard some static coming from the tank. It moves back and my ball is back in my hands. I’m so relieved that I thank the tank. The peace was shattered when Yusof shouted that BIbi had stepped on a landmine.
Dear diary, Day 1 Today my friends and I were playing soccer when my sister,Bibi, appeared behind me. She wanted to play with us but in Afghanistan, girls are not allowed to play soccer. I tried to stop her but she started to dribble and cut all of us. I was very proud of her as she had remembered all the tricks I had taught her. Then she kicked the ball. It flew over the rocket crater. Day 2 We immediately rushed to retrieve the ball. I warned her about the landmines. We found out that the ball had been stopped by an abandoned tank. I followed Bibi’s footsteps and went closer to the tank. As we were about to take the ball, the barrel of the tank started to move. I told her that we had to rush back home before our parents woke up. To my horror she left a note saying that she had gone to play soccer. Bibi started walking back as I tried to take my ball. Then I hear a sound and soon realised that it is the rumbling of the tank’s engine. Day 3 I shout to Bibi to run as the barrel points at me. Then, BIbi starts throwing rocks at the tank. I shout at Bibi to get down. Although i wanted to go with her, I needed to get my precious ball. Although I’m scared within, I do not show it out. The ball is half squashed under the tank. In a strong voice, I ask the tank driver to return my ball to me. I tell the tank why I need the ball so much but it still does not move. I try to pull it out by myself, but to no avail. Then I heard some static coming from the tank. It moves back and my ball is back in my hands. I’m so relieved that I thank the tank. The peace was shattered when Yusof shouted that BIbi had stepped on a landmine.
Day 4 Surprisingly, there was no bang and I could not smell the explosion. When I climbed over the rocket crater, I saw Bibi standing awkwardly on the landmine. Her weight had prevented the landmine from exploding. But if she had lifted her leg up it would have exploded. I shouted at Yusof for not taking care of Bibi but I realised that it was not his fault. The government was supposed to clear the landmines. Bibi went there to get something for her bird migration project. The village was very far away from us so we could not get any help. I told Bibi to slowly move her leg away so that I could put my leg on it. I really hoped that it was a dud mine. Bibi refused to let me step on the mine. Only after much persuasion did she let me step on it. Then we successfully made the switch. I asked Bibi and Yusof to run. After a while, I saw Bibi running towards me. I got ready to brace the impact, but she hit into me real hard. Both of us rolled away from the mine but it did not explode. We were all extremely relieved. Day 5 We made our way back to the village. Then a truck passed. We immediately ducked as it could have been a government. Bibi was complaining about the government and we were thinking if there would be mines in Manchester. Then a man suddenly grabbed my soccer ball. He was Mr Nasser. I told Bibi to run but before she could do that he held her. Bibi’s hat was about to drop off and that could have ruined her disguise of being a boy. He reprimanded us for breaking his window. Just at that moment our dad arrived and pleaded with Mr Nasser to leave us alone. My dad did not tell Mr Nasser that Bibi was his child. He assured Mr Nasser that he would inform Bibi’s and Yusof’s parents to reprimand them. Mr Nasser believed my father and released us from his grip. My dad promised Mr Nasser that the latter would get a payment for the broken window together with a written apology that night. After this, my dad dragged all of us into his taxi. I was hoping that my dad was not angry with us but it did not seem that way. Day 6 Upon arriving at home, I was waiting for dad to yell at me. To my surprise, he went into his room to talk to my mum. Bibi gave me a punch in the arm and apologised for causing me a lot of trouble. I accepted her apology and praised her for being better than me in soccer. My parents stepped out of their room with dad looking pale and grim while mum’s eyes were red and lips thin with stress. Both my sister and I were preparing ourselves for a dress-down. Fortunately, it did not happen. Instead, my parents gave us a hug and reassured us that they loved us a lot. Soon after, dad said that we had to vacate our house immediately. Both Bibi and I could not believe what we had heard. I was confused as to why we had to move from our house. Finally, my parents disclosed to us that the government had found out about my parents operating an illegal school. I looked around and confirmed that all the school staff had disappeared. I questioned my parents as to how the government was able to discover this truth. They responded by saying that someone could have seen my dad sending or fetching pupils in his taxi to and fro from the school. My father reiterated that we had to leave our house that night.
Dear diary, Day 7 I was so angry with the government. My whole family was packing and were getting ready to leave. Bibi was so angry that she kicked the wall. My mother immediately hugged her. Bibi told our mother that she was scared. Then mum goes and gets a candle stick, lights it up and tells us that it will be alright. The candle stick has been in mum’s family for hundreds of years. After a few moments, she told me to go and put all my clothes into a bag. I wanted to bring many things with me but i could not. On my way down the stairs, I saw dad looking solemnly at his oven. I realised that he was saying goodbye to it. Mum on the other hand had dug a hole in the dirt and was burying all the school stuff in it. I am determined to find a way to not leave the village. Day 8 I was watching soccer on the television with Yusof’s grandfather then, the commentators started to say “overboard”. I asked him why they were saying overboard when there were no boats there. He explained to me that it meant that the player was bold, wild, daring and dangerous. The government had banned television so Yusof’s grandfather had installed an illegal satellite dish so that he can watch soccer matches. I was still thinking of a way to prevent my parents from moving. Then I asked Yusof’s grandfather if the government would stop being angry with my parents for running a school if I was very good in soccer. He told me that i was a good boy but many people in other countries do not like our people. He says that we have faced many challenges even before the government. I realised it was really important for me to train to ensure my plan worked. Day 9 Than an idea hit me. At night when everyone was asleep I would go and practice my soccer skills. While I was playing I heard someone whispering my name. I freeze in shock. I soon realise that the person is no other than Bibi. I told to keep her voice down so that no one would here us. She asked me where our parents were unfortunately, I did not know too. Somehow I needed to get Bibi back into the house. I tell her that our parents went to inform the rest of the parents that the government have found out about the school. Out of a sudden, she flicked the ball away from my feet and starts dribbling the ball past me. I was amazed at how well she played soccer that I thought of a new idea. Both of us could improve on our soccer skills so that the government would allow girls to play soccer too. Out of a sudden Bibi said penalty shot. It flies in the air i thought it was going to break another of Mr Nasser’s window but it curls away from there and hits our house’s door. The whole house explodes. It was very chaotic, people were running everywhere. Then someone pulled us up, it was dad. Day 10 Dad brings us unto Yusuf’s grandfather’s cellar. I asked dad where mum was. But he does not answer me. After awhile, he said that mum wanted us to meet her in the city. He adds that mum wants us to be somewhere safe. Yusuf’s grandfather came down the stairs and told my dad that the taxi was not damaged. Not soon after, dad said it was time to go. When i was about to leave, I told Yusuf to take my ball as his had exploded. Yusuf refused to take my ball and told me that I would need it more than him. I have not hugged any other kid other than my sister but I hugged Yusuf to tell him thanks.
Dear diary, Day 11 I was still on the floor of the taxi when I woke up. I had a stiff neck. Bibi was lying on the back seat dribbling. I thought what mum would have done and wiped it away with my sleeve. From the taxi I could see the city in a distance. I asked my dad if our mum was in the city unfortunately he said that mum had not arrived yet. He added on by saying that he promised that mum would be with us. The government hated music so they confiscated the tapes and chucked them up the tree. Then I had a frightening thought what if a government employee was in one of the other cars. Then he brought us to an abandoned shop. He told us that we would be safe there. We immediately asked him why he has to leave us. He said that he had to go and fetch mum in the soccer stadium which I could see. Before he left he gave me lots of money and told me to take a taxi back home if he had not come back by late afternoon. Then he took off. Bibi had heard this and said to me that if dad had not come we would get a tank. It suddenly dawned on me that mum and dad had gone to the stadium to convince the government that football would really help. At first Bibi was not convinced but after she knew they were also fighting for the right of girls playing soccer she believed. Without any hesitation we rushed to the stadium.
Day12 Many people are gathering outside the football stadium. The government must have had given permission for a match to be played there. I wondered how delighted the national team selectors would be to meet us. Bibi looked doubtful and she said she had only scored a goal before. I said to her that they were not looking for experience but talents. I reminded her that she was disguised as a boy and we would reveal that she was a girl after she had showed them her skills. We were finding for dad’s taxi but it was nowhere to be found. Out of a sudden, Bibi burst out shouted for our parents. I pulled her into the crowd and told her that we did not want to attract any attention except from the selectors. I was amazed that the stadium gates were open and many people were walking in without tickets. We decided to walk up to the highest level to get a bird’s eye view of the stadium so that we could spot our parents. Then, the stadium goes quiet. Army trucks were driven on to the football pitch. Soldiers jumped out from the truck and dragged several women out on to the pitch. Their hands were tied up. I realized that this was a warning from the government to show what would happen to women who played football. Suddenly a woman breaks away from the soldiers and run towards us. From the way she was running, we could recognise that she was our mom. Bibi screamed! I immediately clamped my hand over her mouth. The government must have had arrested my mom before our house blew up. I realized that I had to do something to stop them. Out of nowhere, a taxi sped into the stadium and smashed through the low fence around the pitch. The taxi made a half circle in front of two soldiers and sprayed them with grit and accelerated towards mom. When it reached our mother, she got into the taxi and they sped away. Bibi had a glimpse of the driver and it was our dad.
I decided to make bread so that it would attract Dad’s attention. But I could not find the ingredients that I needed. The boy who attempted to steal my ball pulled me to my feet. He told me that he would take me to my family for an American dollar. I said that I did not have it with me and he immediately responded by saying that I would have to give him my ball. He then pulled me by my hand and zig-zagged through many people. We had reached the road. A car approached us and many people moved towards it. The boy said that the men were from the United Nations and were given away free tickets. I asked for 5 tickets but it fell on deaf ears. The men were pushed back into their car by the crowd thus causing them to leave the place. The boy was nowhere to be seen after that day. As I turned around, I saw my tent. There were few police officers standing around the tent.
Day 17
I thought the police officers were spies and they had spotted us. Then calmly I made my way to the police officers and pleaded with them not to arrest my Dad. I even told them what we had gone through to get to this place. I was confused as my Mum was looking at me anxiously. Just then, I saw my Dad giving the police officers a handful of money as bribes. I wondered where he had gotten so much of money from. I was worried for his safety. I soon realized that we would be making our way to Australia in a few days time.
We were at the airport. We finally saw our plane after many days of traveling in a cramped bus. We got out of the bus and made our way towards the plane. The bus driver informed my Dad that after disembarking from the plane we needed to take a boat to Australia. This did not change my Dad’s decision to migrate to Australia. We all decided to board the plane. At that moment, security guards rushed towards us and checked our bags for weapons. They also examined us for metallic objects. Then I remembered the candle stick that was in our bag. To my surprise the security guards did not detect it. I then put my hand into the bag to check for it. I was horrified to discover that it was not there. Just then my Mum apologized to me immediately for selling the candle stick without my knowledge. I felt upset and worried as it had always protected us from any danger. We had no choice but to sell it in order for us to get on the plane and make our trip to Australia.
The plane was starting to take off. We were supposed to be happy and excited. Unfortunately, we were not. I did not look out of the plane window as I was extremely worried for our safety. I could see the worried look on my Mum’s face and I instantly consoled her. I reassured Bibi that it was a commercial flight and that the plane would not go off its flight path. I soon realised that we had to take care of each other.
Day 20
We had landed and were waiting on the docks. I asked Dad if he had thought that the government had sent spy planes after us. He assured me that there were none. There were two boats and we had no idea which boat we were suppose to board. We were not even certain if all of us could get into the two boats. While waiting for instructions, Bibi and I decided to occupy ourselves by practicing our football skills. The boy who had tried to steal my ball at the camp also began to join us in our game. Immediately, he demanded that I give him the ball as it was his. Both of us engaged in a tug for the ball but we were evenly matched. Out of a sudden, Bibi kicked the boy and he backed away. To our horror, the ball bounced off the dock and fell into the water.
Everyone started to rush. Then I saw that the smugglers had opened the gate to the boats. Mum and Dad tried to come towards us but they were being pushed back by the crowd towards the gate. Then out of a sudden, Bibi started to run to get the ball. I told her that mum and dad were more important then the ball. She replied by saying that if we loose the ball, our plan would be destroyed. Then the boy came to help us get our ball. Instead he fell into the water. I shouted for help but no one came to help us. I saw a sailor and asked him to help us but I think he did not understand me. In desperation, I shook the sailor but in return I received a slap. Bibi kicked the sailor and so he threw her into the water.
I was devastated. I jumped into the water to rescue Bibi. After searching for a while, I was lucky to spot Bibi. I grabbed her and tried to come out from the water but I was unable to do so. Someone reached out and attempted to pull us out. In the process, my whole body was aching. I was extremely delighted to be out of the water. People begun to crowd around us and we started to look for our parents. However it was to no avail. In the far distance, I saw my parents on another boat that had already set off. We were stunned and didn’t know what to do.
Dear Diary, Day 23 Bibi started to get hysterical. I told her that we could radio contact the other boat to turn back. Then we weaved through the crowd and tried to meet the captain. But the sailor in yellow overalls stopped us. A smuggler approached us. I told him that he has to contact the other boat as or parents were on it. He replied that they did not have a radio or is on radar. I pleaded with him to chase them. He shouted at me to sit down. Bibi started to get angry but i told her that it was no use. If the smuggler were to get angry, it would be hard for us to get to Australia to meet our parents. After a while Bibi started to cry and this helped her to calm down. I felt pity on her and was helpless. Then I heard a voice from behind us. It’s a boy and his name was Omar. To our relief he informed us that his parents were on that boat too.
Day 24 The boat was packed with people. Many people were feeling nauseous and started to vomit including Omar. Bibi started to get hungry as we had not eaten for a long time. However, I did not feel hungry as the smell of the diesel engine took my appetite away. Soon two sailors started dishing out noodle soup. To our horror the sailor holding the ladle was in yellow overalls. I was worried that he would not give us the appropriate serving of food. The person in front of me was covered in a dark blanket. As she moved forward to get the food, the blanket caught fire. I sprang into action and pulled the blanket off her. I stepped on the flames to extinguish it. When she stepped forward to get her food, the sailor waved her away and did not give her anything. We argued with the sailors on their unfair treatment but it was of no use. Due to this argument, we ended up with no food too.
Dear Diary, Day 25 The girl invited us to sit on her blanket. People around us started to move back. It was either due to the girl’s bare legs or the people pitied us and gave us more space. A woman beside us offered us her tin of soup. At first I thought of taking it for Bibi, but then I realized that the woman had three children and decided not to take it. The girl said that her name was Rashida. Bibi looked confused as Rashida was boy’s name but it was given to her. Omar came and met her. Rashida asked us if we had any food and we replied by saying that all our food was with our parents. She then opened her pink suitcase and took out a can of sardines. She gave a sardine to each one of us. I secretly peeked into her bag to see if she had anymore food. She had something even better; flour.
testing my blog
ReplyDeleteDear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 1
Today my friends and I were playing soccer when my sister,Bibi, appeared behind me. She wanted to play with us but in Afghanistan, girls are not allowed to play soccer. I tried to stop her but she started to dribble and cut all of us. I was very proud of her as she had remembered all the tricks I had taught her. Then she kicked the ball. It flew over the rocket crater.
We immediately rushed to retrieve the ball. I warned her about the landmines. We found out that the ball had been stopped by an abandoned tank. I followed Bibi’s footsteps and went closer to the tank. As we were about to take the ball, the barrel of the tank started to move. I told her that we had to rush back home before our parents woke up. To my horror she left a note saying that she had gone to play soccer. Bibi started walking back as I tried to take my ball. Then I hear a sound and soon realised that it is the rumbling of the tank’s engine.
I shout to Bibi to run as the barrel points at me. Then, BIbi starts throwing rocks at the tank. I shout at Bibi to get down. Although i wanted to go with her, I needed to get my precious ball. Although I’m scared within, I do not show it out. The ball is half squashed under the tank. In a strong voice, I ask the tank driver to return my ball to me. I tell the tank why I need the ball so much but it still does not move. I try to pull it out by myself, but to no avail. Then I heard some static coming from the tank. It moves back and my ball is back in my hands. I’m so relieved that I thank the tank. The peace was shattered when Yusof shouted that BIbi had stepped on a landmine.
Dear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 1
Today my friends and I were playing soccer when my sister,Bibi, appeared behind me. She wanted to play with us but in Afghanistan, girls are not allowed to play soccer. I tried to stop her but she started to dribble and cut all of us. I was very proud of her as she had remembered all the tricks I had taught her. Then she kicked the ball. It flew over the rocket crater.
Day 2
We immediately rushed to retrieve the ball. I warned her about the landmines. We found out that the ball had been stopped by an abandoned tank. I followed Bibi’s footsteps and went closer to the tank. As we were about to take the ball, the barrel of the tank started to move. I told her that we had to rush back home before our parents woke up. To my horror she left a note saying that she had gone to play soccer. Bibi started walking back as I tried to take my ball. Then I hear a sound and soon realised that it is the rumbling of the tank’s engine.
Day 3
I shout to Bibi to run as the barrel points at me. Then, BIbi starts throwing rocks at the tank. I shout at Bibi to get down. Although i wanted to go with her, I needed to get my precious ball. Although I’m scared within, I do not show it out. The ball is half squashed under the tank. In a strong voice, I ask the tank driver to return my ball to me. I tell the tank why I need the ball so much but it still does not move. I try to pull it out by myself, but to no avail. Then I heard some static coming from the tank. It moves back and my ball is back in my hands. I’m so relieved that I thank the tank. The peace was shattered when Yusof shouted that BIbi had stepped on a landmine.
Day 4
ReplyDeleteSurprisingly, there was no bang and I could not smell the explosion. When I climbed over the rocket crater, I saw Bibi standing awkwardly on the landmine. Her weight had prevented the landmine from exploding. But if she had lifted her leg up it would have exploded. I shouted at Yusof for not taking care of Bibi but I realised that it was not his fault. The government was supposed to clear the landmines. Bibi went there to get something for her bird migration project. The village was very far away from us so we could not get any help. I told Bibi to slowly move her leg away so that I could put my leg on it. I really hoped that it was a dud mine. Bibi refused to let me step on the mine. Only after much persuasion did she let me step on it. Then we successfully made the switch. I asked Bibi and Yusof to run. After a while, I saw Bibi running towards me. I got ready to brace the impact, but she hit into me real hard. Both of us rolled away from the mine but it did not explode. We were all extremely relieved.
Day 5
We made our way back to the village. Then a truck passed. We immediately ducked as it could have been a government. Bibi was complaining about the government and we were thinking if there would be mines in Manchester. Then a man suddenly grabbed my soccer ball. He was Mr Nasser. I told Bibi to run but before she could do that he held her. Bibi’s hat was about to drop off and that could have ruined her disguise of being a boy. He reprimanded us for breaking his window. Just at that moment our dad arrived and pleaded with Mr Nasser to leave us alone. My dad did not tell Mr Nasser that Bibi was his child. He assured Mr Nasser that he would inform Bibi’s and Yusof’s parents to reprimand them. Mr Nasser believed my father and released us from his grip. My dad promised Mr Nasser that the latter would get a payment for the broken window together with a written apology that night. After this, my dad dragged all of us into his taxi. I was hoping that my dad was not angry with us but it did not seem that way.
Day 6
Upon arriving at home, I was waiting for dad to yell at me. To my surprise, he went into his room to talk to my mum. Bibi gave me a punch in the arm and apologised for causing me a lot of trouble. I accepted her apology and praised her for being better than me in soccer. My parents stepped out of their room with dad looking pale and grim while mum’s eyes were red and lips thin with stress. Both my sister and I were preparing ourselves for a dress-down. Fortunately, it did not happen. Instead, my parents gave us a hug and reassured us that they loved us a lot. Soon after, dad said that we had to vacate our house immediately. Both Bibi and I could not believe what we had heard. I was confused as to why we had to move from our house. Finally, my parents disclosed to us that the government had found out about my parents operating an illegal school. I looked around and confirmed that all the school staff had disappeared. I questioned my parents as to how the government was able to discover this truth. They responded by saying that someone could have seen my dad sending or fetching pupils in his taxi to and fro from the school. My father reiterated that we had to leave our house that night.
Dear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 7
I was so angry with the government. My whole family was packing and were getting ready to leave. Bibi was so angry that she kicked the wall. My mother immediately hugged her. Bibi told our mother that she was scared. Then mum goes and gets a candle stick, lights it up and tells us that it will be alright. The candle stick has been in mum’s family for hundreds of years. After a few moments, she told me to go and put all my clothes into a bag. I wanted to bring many things with me but i could not. On my way down the stairs, I saw dad looking solemnly at his oven. I realised that he was saying goodbye to it. Mum on the other hand had dug a hole in the dirt and was burying all the school stuff in it. I am determined to find a way to not leave the village.
Day 8
I was watching soccer on the television with Yusof’s grandfather then, the commentators started to say “overboard”. I asked him why they were saying overboard when there were no boats there. He explained to me that it meant that the player was bold, wild, daring and dangerous. The government had banned television so Yusof’s grandfather had installed an illegal satellite dish so that he can watch soccer matches. I was still thinking of a way to prevent my parents from moving. Then I asked Yusof’s grandfather if the government would stop being angry with my parents for running a school if I was very good in soccer. He told me that i was a good boy but many people in other countries do not like our people. He says that we have faced many challenges even before the government. I realised it was really important for me to train to ensure my plan worked.
Day 9
Than an idea hit me. At night when everyone was asleep I would go and practice my soccer skills. While I was playing I heard someone whispering my name. I freeze in shock. I soon realise that the person is no other than Bibi. I told to keep her voice down so that no one would here us. She asked me where our parents were unfortunately, I did not know too. Somehow I needed to get Bibi back into the house. I tell her that our parents went to inform the rest of the parents that the government have found out about the school. Out of a sudden, she flicked the ball away from my feet and starts dribbling the ball past me. I was amazed at how well she played soccer that I thought of a new idea. Both of us could improve on our soccer skills so that the government would allow girls to play soccer too. Out of a sudden Bibi said penalty shot. It flies in the air i thought it was going to break another of Mr Nasser’s window but it curls away from there and hits our house’s door. The whole house explodes. It was very chaotic, people were running everywhere. Then someone pulled us up, it was dad.
Day 10
Dad brings us unto Yusuf’s grandfather’s cellar. I asked dad where mum was. But he does not answer me. After awhile, he said that mum wanted us to meet her in the city. He adds that mum wants us to be somewhere safe. Yusuf’s grandfather came down the stairs and told my dad that the taxi was not damaged. Not soon after, dad said it was time to go. When i was about to leave, I told Yusuf to take my ball as his had exploded. Yusuf refused to take my ball and told me that I would need it more than him. I have not hugged any other kid other than my sister but I hugged Yusuf to tell him thanks.
Dear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 11
I was still on the floor of the taxi when I woke up. I had a stiff neck. Bibi was lying on the back seat dribbling. I thought what mum would have done and wiped it away with my sleeve. From the taxi I could see the city in a distance. I asked my dad if our mum was in the city unfortunately he said that mum had not arrived yet. He added on by saying that he promised that mum would be with us. The government hated music so they confiscated the tapes and chucked them up the tree. Then I had a frightening thought what if a government employee was in one of the other cars. Then he brought us to an abandoned shop. He told us that we would be safe there. We immediately asked him why he has to leave us. He said that he had to go and fetch mum in the soccer stadium which I could see. Before he left he gave me lots of money and told me to take a taxi back home if he had not come back by late afternoon. Then he took off. Bibi had heard this and said to me that if dad had not come we would get a tank. It suddenly dawned on me that mum and dad had gone to the stadium to convince the government that football would really help. At first Bibi was not convinced but after she knew they were also fighting for the right of girls playing soccer she believed. Without any hesitation we rushed to the stadium.
Dear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay12
Many people are gathering outside the football stadium. The government must have had given permission for a match to be played there. I wondered how delighted the national team selectors would be to meet us. Bibi looked doubtful and she said she had only scored a goal before. I said to her that they were not looking for experience but talents. I reminded her that she was disguised as a boy and we would reveal that she was a girl after she had showed them her skills. We were finding for dad’s taxi but it was nowhere to be found. Out of a sudden, Bibi burst out shouted for our parents. I pulled her into the crowd and told her that we did not want to attract any attention except from the selectors. I was amazed that the stadium gates were open and many people were walking in without tickets. We decided to walk up to the highest level to get a bird’s eye view of the stadium so that we could spot our parents. Then, the stadium goes quiet. Army trucks were driven on to the football pitch. Soldiers jumped out from the truck and dragged several women out on to the pitch. Their hands were tied up. I realized that this was a warning from the government to show what would happen to women who played football. Suddenly a woman breaks away from the soldiers and run towards us. From the way she was running, we could recognise that she was our mom. Bibi screamed! I immediately clamped my hand over her mouth. The government must have had arrested my mom before our house blew up. I realized that I had to do something to stop them. Out of nowhere, a taxi sped into the stadium and smashed through the low fence around the pitch. The taxi made a half circle in front of two soldiers and sprayed them with grit and accelerated towards mom. When it reached our mother, she got into the taxi and they sped away. Bibi had a glimpse of the driver and it was our dad.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 16
I decided to make bread so that it would attract Dad’s attention. But I could not find the ingredients that I needed. The boy who attempted to steal my ball pulled me to my feet. He told me that he would take me to my family for an American dollar. I said that I did not have it with me and he immediately responded by saying that I would have to give him my ball. He then pulled me by my hand and zig-zagged through many people. We had reached the road. A car approached us and many people moved towards it. The boy said that the men were from the United Nations and were given away free tickets. I asked for 5 tickets but it fell on deaf ears. The men were pushed back into their car by the crowd thus causing them to leave the place. The boy was nowhere to be seen after that day. As I turned around, I saw my tent. There were few police officers standing around the tent.
Day 17
I thought the police officers were spies and they had spotted us. Then calmly I made my way to the police officers and pleaded with them not to arrest my Dad. I even told them what we had gone through to get to this place. I was confused as my Mum was looking at me anxiously. Just then, I saw my Dad giving the police officers a handful of money as bribes. I wondered where he had gotten so much of money from. I was worried for his safety. I soon realized that we would be making our way to Australia in a few days time.
Dear Diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 18
We were at the airport. We finally saw our plane after many days of traveling in a cramped bus. We got out of the bus and made our way towards the plane. The bus driver informed my Dad that after disembarking from the plane we needed to take a boat to Australia. This did not change my Dad’s decision to migrate to Australia. We all decided to board the plane. At that moment, security guards rushed towards us and checked our bags for weapons. They also examined us for metallic objects. Then I remembered the candle stick that was in our bag. To my surprise the security guards did not detect it. I then put my hand into the bag to check for it. I was horrified to discover that it was not there. Just then my Mum apologized to me immediately for selling the candle stick without my knowledge. I felt upset and worried as it had always protected us from any danger. We had no choice but to sell it in order for us to get on the plane and make our trip to Australia.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 19
The plane was starting to take off. We were supposed to be happy and excited. Unfortunately, we were not. I did not look out of the plane window as I was extremely worried for our safety. I could see the worried look on my Mum’s face and I instantly consoled her. I reassured Bibi that it was a commercial flight and that the plane would not go off its flight path. I soon realised that we had to take care of each other.
Day 20
We had landed and were waiting on the docks. I asked Dad if he had thought that the government had sent spy planes after us. He assured me that there were none. There were two boats and we had no idea which boat we were suppose to board. We were not even certain if all of us could get into the two boats. While waiting for instructions, Bibi and I decided to occupy ourselves by practicing our football skills. The boy who had tried to steal my ball at the camp also began to join us in our game. Immediately, he demanded that I give him the ball as it was his. Both of us engaged in a tug for the ball but we were evenly matched. Out of a sudden, Bibi kicked the boy and he backed away. To our horror, the ball bounced off the dock and fell into the water.
Dear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 21
Everyone started to rush. Then I saw that the smugglers had opened the gate to the boats. Mum and Dad tried to come towards us but they were being pushed back by the crowd towards the gate. Then out of a sudden, Bibi started to run to get the ball. I told her that mum and dad were more important then the ball. She replied by saying that if we loose the ball, our plan would be destroyed. Then the boy came to help us get our ball. Instead he fell into the water. I shouted for help but no one came to help us. I saw a sailor and asked him to help us but I think he did not understand me. In desperation, I shook the sailor but in return I received a slap. Bibi kicked the sailor and so he threw her into the water.
Dear diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 22
I was devastated. I jumped into the water to rescue Bibi. After searching for a while, I was lucky to spot Bibi. I grabbed her and tried to come out from the water but I was unable to do so. Someone reached out and attempted to pull us out. In the process, my whole body was aching. I was extremely delighted to be out of the water. People begun to crowd around us and we started to look for our parents. However it was to no avail. In the far distance, I saw my parents on another boat that had already set off. We were stunned and didn’t know what to do.
Dear Diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 23
Bibi started to get hysterical. I told her that we could radio contact the other boat to turn back. Then we weaved through the crowd and tried to meet the captain. But the sailor in yellow overalls stopped us. A smuggler approached us. I told him that he has to contact the other boat as or parents were on it. He replied that they did not have a radio or is on radar. I pleaded with him to chase them. He shouted at me to sit down. Bibi started to get angry but i told her that it was no use. If the smuggler were to get angry, it would be hard for us to get to Australia to meet our parents. After a while Bibi started to cry and this helped her to calm down. I felt pity on her and was helpless. Then I heard a voice from behind us. It’s a boy and his name was Omar. To our relief he informed us that his parents were on that boat too.
Day 24
The boat was packed with people. Many people were feeling nauseous and started to vomit including Omar. Bibi started to get hungry as we had not eaten for a long time. However, I did not feel hungry as the smell of the diesel engine took my appetite away. Soon two sailors started dishing out noodle soup. To our horror the sailor holding the ladle was in yellow overalls. I was worried that he would not give us the appropriate serving of food. The person in front of me was covered in a dark blanket. As she moved forward to get the food, the blanket caught fire. I sprang into action and pulled the blanket off her. I stepped on the flames to extinguish it. When she stepped forward to get her food, the sailor waved her away and did not give her anything. We argued with the sailors on their unfair treatment but it was of no use. Due to this argument, we ended up with no food too.
Dear Diary,
ReplyDeleteDay 25
The girl invited us to sit on her blanket. People around us started to move back. It was either due to the girl’s bare legs or the people pitied us and gave us more space. A woman beside us offered us her tin of soup. At first I thought of taking it for Bibi, but then I realized that the woman had three children and decided not to take it. The girl said that her name was Rashida. Bibi looked confused as Rashida was boy’s name but it was given to her. Omar came and met her. Rashida asked us if we had any food and we replied by saying that all our food was with our parents. She then opened her pink suitcase and took out a can of sardines. She gave a sardine to each one of us. I secretly peeked into her bag to see if she had anymore food. She had something even better; flour.